History of Hillview Baptist Church
Hillview Baptist Church was organized as Republican Grove Baptist Church in 1800. The earliest members had moved to Tennessee from Republican Grove community in one of the Carolinas; hence, the name of the church, Republican Grove Baptist Church. In a sense, they brought their church with their families and belongings to Tennessee. The young church united with the Mero District Association, which was founded in 1796 and was the first Baptist association in Middle Tennessee. When Concord Association was formed in 1810, Republican Grove transferred to the Concord Association.
Hillview and Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church, both founded in 1800, are the oldest Baptist churches in Rutherford County. Hillview was one of the first ten churches in Middle Tennessee.
In 1840 Charles E. Owen gave a tract of land to the church on the Old Sharpsville Road—about one-half mile from the Compton community. A log building was constructed. Services continued, usually one or two weekends a month, through the Civil War and Reconstruction years.
The 1880’s were pivotal years for Republican Grove Baptist Church. In 1880 J. W. Smith was ordained to preach the gospel. In 1881 the first Sunday School was organized with William A. Jones as Superintendent, and in 1882 a Women’s Missionary Society was formed. In the same
year, G.S. Jarman and Oscar Nolen were ordained to preach. In 1882 the church voted to move to its present location – three miles from Murfreesboro on Lascassas Pike. However, sufficient funds for the move could not be raised, and Republican Grove remained at this location until 1910.
In 1883 in cooperation with Bradley’s Creek Baptist Church, twenty members left to establish a new church at Lascassas, near their homes.
In 1910 the old landmark house was sold, and two acres site was purchased from Muriel M. Pitts for $150.00. The new building was constructed from timber cut from logs and hauled by the members. The pretty, white, one-room frame building was valued at $1,150.
The move to the new location on Lascassas Pike proved good for the church. In 1913 J.W. Zumbro was ordained to preach.
The church steadily progressed through the 1920’s and 1 electric lights and gas heat replaced the kerosene lamps and pot-bellied stoves.
In the 150th birthday year, total membership was 139, with 71 in Sunday School.
The decade of the fifties was a time of marked advance. Three Sunday School classrooms were added to provide space for the increased enrollment. Two more classrooms and the vestibule were added in 1955.
In 1962 a new wing was added. A fellowship hall was added in 1974. During the 1970’s the church purchased approximately two more acres of land. In 1975 the church celebrated its 175th anniversary. At that time there were 139 resident members and 39 non-residents. During this time the name of the church was changed to Hillview Baptist Church.
In 1983 the youth participated in the church’s first mission trip to El Paso, Texas, and Mexico under the leadership of Jim Thigpen, pastor.
The Constitution and By-Laws were written during the 1980’s. Hillview continued its commitment to the gospel in the 1990’s. Our new building dedication was August 5th, 2012. There have been many souls saved, and its history is great. Its future is promising, and the prayer of the church is that members will continue with its mission. Hillview’s Mission is to worship God only; loving and caring for all people and making Jesus Christ known through:
- Bible Teaching
- Christian Fellowship
To God Be The Glory!